Written by Sean McPheat |
Many salespeople fear trying to gain business from new prospects because of the high chances of rejection, and the inability to deal with the usual negative responses.
But how about a rethink here. If you had the choice, would you rather contact current customers with whom you’ve built up a great relationship, or a brand new customer you know nothing about and knows nothing about you?
I can guess your answer!
Many salespeople we come across view their current customers as one-off sales transactions. With this limited view, the additional sales opportunities are simply that: limited.
But with a quick reframe, it’s easy to believe that your current client is not only a client, but they can also be viewed as a prospect.
So your mindset has to be focused on a repeat-business mentality. And before you say you’re already getting 100% of the business from the client, think that there’s more than one way to gain business from current customers.
How can you turn a current customer into a prospect and generate sales leads from them?
* Get them to give you referrals
* Let them do networking for you and be rewarded for it
* Let them introduce you to other business centres within their company
* Become a trusted advisor to them, allowing more business opportunities to flow from current contacts
* Identify opportunities that haven’t been seen by your current customers and help them to see how you can help them achieve market share with those opportunities
Although you may think you are getting 100% of their current business, there are always ways to improve and increase sales leads by proactively checking out areas you and the client may not have considered. It’s easier, less stressful and less time-consuming to generate leads with current customers than having to approach new ones. And that can only be good for business!
The UK’s #1 Authority On Modern Day Selling
Originally published: 20 August, 2010